Saturday, July 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Fr. Donnie!

Today, Fr. Donnie celebrated his 84th birthday. In his typical self-less fashion, he moved the “festivities” back a week, to ensure that we all had a proper send-off next Sunday (I’m still contemplating buying a cow…but I’m not sure if I can go through with the whole slaughtering part of it!). It’s pretty amazing that Fr. Donnie is back near 100% just about 2 years after his cancer diagnosis. Like I said, there isn’t a lot going on tonight to celebrate his birthday, however, he is getting a cake and he was happy to hear that the Red Sox got past King Felix last night (More importantly, he also made contact with Ruthie!).

As the time is drawing to an end, I’m beginning to transition into the “re-entry” phase of this experience. I’m not sure whether or not I’ll freak out or something when I see white people walking down the street or tall buildings, but I’m definitely expecting that it will be an adjustment. All I know is that I’ve gained a lot of appreciation for what I used to take for granted (seeing people who live in mud huts function normally kind of makes things like the NFL labor mess look silly…but seriously, I better have football back when I get home!). Ok, enough with the life lessons and stupid clichés, I’ve got better things to do…

Due to the fact that my internet package expires tomorrow, this could very well be my last post until I come home. If this the final time that I communicate with the rest of civilization, I’d like to sincerely thank everybody for keeping me sane over the last 6 months (you were the reason I was able to slowly crawl out of the fetal position those first few weeks!).

P.S. Cya on the 20th (Yes, even you, weird Malyasian dude who always reads this thing! You’re absolutely expected to be in attendance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment